But instead of reflecting on the struggles, one thing we’ve learned is that this milestone is an opportunity for shameless self-promotion! So let us take this special day to share our top Genius House moments:
2. Montana: In October Adam and Darren ventured out of the city for a weeklong shoot in mountain country for Dickies. They faced unexpected blizzard conditions covering foresters, ranchers, cattle herding in the mountains and sawmill workers. Four a.m. call times, freezing appendages, and learning to keep a wolfhound nearby to avoid bear attacks were the norm for the week, but it was all worth it when the videos came together:
3. First social client: Within a month of launching we received a call from a startup in need of social content creation and profile management. After one pitch meeting, a contract was signed and we were both pinching ourselves daily, absolutely shocked that we were being sought out for services that we love to do.
4. Attending SXSW: You go to learn/ validate what you know, and to network/ party, but attending as a business owner adds 100 times the value to this conference. Not to mention we felt like hotshots during introductions and business card exchanges. I will probably add hotshot to my business card in time for next year.
5. Hiring an employee: The day we made an offer and Darren accepted was one of the proudest Genius House moments. Not only because of the talent we knew we were adding to the team, but because with this addition, we became a legitimate team.
6. Most recent: We were stoked when we were asked to film a one-time project for the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. We were thrilled when they were an absolute pleasure to work with. And we were ecstatic when the sample video came together and they called last week asking us to produce a number of videos for them over the next year.
It’s sounds so cliché but the most important message here is thank YOU. If you are reading this, you are likely a client, friend, family member or someone who cares about what we are doing. It has taken a lot of hard work, some luck and some balls, but we couldn’t do it without the love and encouragement from you.